Bajra Khichdi Ingredients
- Moong Dal: I have used split yellow moong dal in this recipe. I did not soak the dal before cooking as yellow lentils cook faster.
- Bajra: Use clean and broken millets. They can be easily found in Indian grocery stores.
- Mixed vegetables: used chopped onions, carrot, green peas, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach.
- Ghee or Oil: Tastes best with ghee, but if you are a vegan replace it with cooking oil.
- Green chilies: I have used Thai green chilies for the heat.
- Ginger: use grated or minced ginger.
- Whole spices: I have used cumin seeds in this recipe.
- Dry spices: I have used turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala powder and asafoetida (hing).
- Coriander leaves: for garnish.
How to Make Bajra Khichdi in Instant Pot
Firstly, soak broken and cleaned bajra in water for at least one hour.
bajra (pearl millet)soaked in water
Press SAUTE mode (Normal) on Instant Pot. Add ghee or oil to the POT. Note: Tastes better with Ghee
Once POT is hot, add in the cumin seeds, asafetida, ginger, green chilies. Saute for 20 secs.
Then add the mixed vegetables, cook for a minute.
steps to saute green chilli ginger and mixed vegetables for bajre ki khichdi collage
Then add soaked bajra, split moong dal (no need to soak the lentil just rinse it and add it to the pressure cooker), turmeric powder, coriander powder, water, salt. Mix well.
steps to add lentils millets dry spices and water collage
Furthermore, close the lid on the pot. Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and timer to 8 minutes.
Once the pot beeps, Wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE (NPR).
Once the pressure has released, open the lid, add garam masala powder, chopped spinach (palak), cilantro, and mix the khichdi well.
**Note: If khichdi is not mushy or too dry, select saute mode, add ½ cup of water, and cook for another minute.
steps to add cilantro collage
Instant Pot Bajra Khichdi is ready. Serve with yogurt, raita, or kadhi.
bajra khichdi served in a bowl with raita on the side